View RSS Feed

Diapered Rabbit

Remodeling Progress on our Bunny Burrow!

Rate this Entry
My wife and I live in a 1500+ sq. ft. 3 bedroom 2 bath house situated along a quarter mile of a creek. The house and grounds sit on 6.5 acres of mountainous woodland bordered on one side by a 1000+ acre BLM parcel, on another side by an undeveloped 9 acre Oregon State Park parcel, the third side is owned by another couple with two young children (our only neighbors). On the other side of the creek is land owned by ODOT.

My wife has owned the property for 16 years and before I got there had completed much of the major infrastructure projects (new well, electrical, roof, foundation, septic and kitchen) necessary to upgrade the property/house.

The house was originally built in the late 1930's - 1940's. The 1930's part of the house was actually two US Army Barracks that were bought surplus from the US Government after Camp White, Oregon was decommissioned as a US Army training base. Camp White was a 10,000 acre training base used during WWII. After decommissioning, a small portion of the area has housed a major west coast VA Domacillary. The majority (remainder) of the land was sold off by the US Government and became an incorporated city (White City, Oregon). The two barracks buildings (16X32) had to be trucked the 72 miles from the base to their present location.

In the late 1940's, the original owner placed the two surplus barracks buildings parallel to each other on pier blocks (no other foundation) and then proceeded to add the center section. (Now the living room, office and laundry room).

When I first met my wife and subsequently moved in with her, the only bathroom (a generous 8X16 room being used as a combination bathroom and laundry room. The bathroom had a cracked fiberglass bathtub/shower, a severely rotted floor, a listing toilet, a small window, one bare light bulb hanging from the ceiling and a single (non-GFCI) outlet next to the medicine cabinet. The ceiling had significant damage and an ominous black mold resulting from moisture build up do to lack of ventilation (no bath fan and from an earlier roof leak.

There was only one entrance/exit to the house through the front door (which had been severely damaged by one of her teenaged sons, who had beaten it in with a baseball bat). All of the windows, 1930's wood, uninsulated, single-paned double hung windows had broken panes, (I replaced 19 individual panes when I moved in). The amount of heat loss from these windows was amazing. the first winter there, I would sit with the family at the dining room table and the wind would just howl through the room. Every bedroom was just as drafty.

I started repairs immediately. First, I removed the ceiling to the bath and then replaced in with green board drywall. I ripped up and replaced 60% of the floor, most of which was rotted to well below the subfloor into the floor-joists. I moved the washer and dryer (along with all the plumbing and electricity) and created a seperate 6X8 laundry room next to the hot water heater in an unused area at one end of the living room. I replumbed the drain to accomidate two toilets (I redesigned the space to make two efficient 6X8 bathrooms). I ripped out the damaged bath shower and replaced the front bath with a new fiberglass 32"X32' shower stall. The master bath got a 3X6 custom double shower with a fiberglass floor and brazilian tile, floor to ceiling. I used the same brazillian tile on the floor of the MB. A large 42X66 single hung vinyl window now replaced the dark and tiny 2x3 amber diffused glass window that was there. A pedestal sink, spacious Kohler Medicine cabinet and a new toilet all in craftsman style now adorned the master bath. A beveled glass, 10 light french door, was installed as a pocket door for the master bath.

The inside front bath had only one major problem, the lack of natural light. I designed a 2X8 glass block transom above the master bath madicine cabinet. Now the sunlight from the outside could flow right through to the front bath! Genius!

The front bath got a maple cabinet and one piece counter/sink. I rewired the two bathrooms with vanity lights over both sinks, GFCI outlets, A seperate overhead roomlight and waterproof recessed light in each shower. The pocket door for the front bath is now a gorgeous reeded glass door.

In 2007, a local contractor rebuilt the entire front living room wall and replaced the damaged front door (32") with an entirely new Montana Door Company and full, single light, 36" Pine door, flanked on either side by a 3X6 almond colored vinyl single hung window as side lights. The living room (which was once as dark as a dungeon) now had abundant natural light!

They replaced the one of the drafty windows in the dining room with a matching Montana Door Company full, single light, 36" pine door. The built a small custom deck and outside stairs out of Canadian Spruce to complete the new back door. The contractor also added the 42"x66" almond colored vinyl windows to replace six other windows in the dining, spare front bedroom, master and master bath. The final contractor project was the installation of a natural colored bamboo hardwood floor in the master bedroom.

When I started the remodel there were only 2 closets in the entire house. Now there are 8 closets and a 5X8 pantry in the kitchen. For continuity all the bedrooms have raised 6 panel pine doors. The pantry, living room/guest closet, laundry and front bath have the full, single light reeded glass doors.

Last year, I added an additional 4X6 almond colored vinyl picture window to the front of the living room and a almond colored vinyl 2x3 single hung window to the laundry room.

We have been gathering other materials for our remodel for all of the the six years I've been here. Windows, doors, appliances, recessed lighting, floresent lighting and other electrical compomnents, furniture, etc. both new and used have been acquired (most recently we've been finding awesome items used off craigslist). I've purchased some craigslist items as far as 600 miles away, and picked them up when traveling to that area for some other significant reason. I purchased two new Certainteed almond colored vinyl (tempered glass) 3X6 single hung windows from a contractor in Seattle, WA and picked them up when I went to Washington for my youngest son's wedding this summer. I paid $100 for the two windows that would have cost just over $800. The reeded glass pine doors were another score. At a typical retail building center these would have had to have been custom ordered for $600+ each. I picked up the 4 reeded glass doors and the beveled glass french door for $60 each and a salvage/overstock building supply. The reeded glass doors were uninstalled returns from an architechural/contracting firm that ordered them for a dentist office and the client did not like the color they were stained/varnished. I subsequently had all of my doors/woodwork stained to match these doors. A savings of well over $2,700 on these five doors alone.

Other than building the pantry, moving the attic access from the kichen ceiling into the new pantry and rebuilding the wall and enclosure around the refridgerator, we have done little on the kitchen. That is a major we have not started yet. Although all of the drawings and planning have been finalized in storage we have a (new $1800) 5 burner gas downdraft almond GE profile stove top (purchased new at the building surplus $200) and a cast iron almond Kohler bar sink (again, purchased new at the building surplus $40) that will be going on a new kitchen island. We have a refurbished Whirpool 36" almond colored wall oven that will sit under-counter where our conventional free standing stove/oven now sits.

This week, we found a like new cast iron Kohler Almond Sink ($1300 new) for $100 from a realitor in Eugene, Oregon. It has a european design with a large sink on the left side, a shallow prep sink in the center and an integrated 7/8" deep drain board on the right side. I already have the brand new Kohler Victorian design faucet and accessories that I won in an ebay auction for $2.53 two years ago that will be installed on the sink.

I am planning to box in with recessed lights and drywall above the kichen cabinets, and have two 2x4 Craftsman style oak florescent fixtures for the ceiling.

Two weeks ago, my wife and I started another big step in our remodel, which entailed installing a double French door on the exterior wall of our master bedroom. One of the old original (1940ís) wood windows was on that wall.

The framing of the wall and install of the (Marvin wood) French Door turned out fantastic! I haven't completed the drywall yet as I am going to wire for sconces on both sides (with dimmer) and two exterior lamps (Something craftsman style). Now we are going to be moving the 8X10 deck from the front porch to outside our master bedroom. Then building a 16X16 secret garden fenced yard outside our master bath and bedroom. I have already completed the six, 6X8 cedar fence panels with diagonal cedar lattice.

This week I started to lay out a wall of windows for our front bedroom with cathedral ceiling. All of the three bedrooms are the same dimension (over 12X18) The opening in the exterior wall is 10 feet by 10 feet. When installed (by Oct 3, 2010) it will consist of a 3X8 foot almond colored arched picture window (tempered glass) flanked on either side by the two new Certainteed almond colored vinyl (tempered glass) 3X6 single hung windows that I acquired this summer. I am making templates for the (Certainteed) glass company to custom build the 3x2 arced windows that will need to go above the 3x6.

Later this fall, I will have to install new ceiling joists and drywall to one half of the ceiling to this room match the angle of the other side as the original builder did not make the cathedroal ceiling symetrical.

It's good to be semi-retired!

I read this. There's not much to say beyond, "wow," but I wanted to let you know that this has been read.

While I am more keenly interested in the property (it sounds incredible), the residence sounds pretty awesome--now that you've invested sweat, tears, time, and blood into it! - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.