View RSS Feed

The life and mind of Takashi Morinosuka

The Last Airbender Review

Rate this Entry
The Last Airbender

Grade: 3 out of 5

By: Waterhead

For: Kick Ass Critics

Well it’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for The Last Airbender based on the TV show Avatar: The Last Airbender is finally out but how does the live action movie hold up against the show? Not that bad actually if you’re willing to have some things changed. The film was directed by M. Night Shyamalan who brought us the films The Sixth Sense, Signs and The Happening and might be one of the most blacklisted directors in Hollywood.

The movie starts out with a Sokka (Jackson Rathbone) and Katara (Nicola Peltz) siblings who live in the South Pole as part of the Southern Water Tribe on a hunting trip. When Sokka sees something under a sheet of ice he grabs his boomerang and cracks open the ice which causes a chain reaction as he and Katara run to escape the cracking ice a ice globe rises to the surface which then explodes with a brightening light revealing a boy in the ice. In comes Aang (Noah Ringer) who is revealed to be the Avatar a being who can control the four elements Water, Earth, Fire and Air. Aang is a master at airbending and must set out to master the other elements. Katara and Sokka set out with Aang on a quest to the Northern Water Tribe so he and Katara can learn Waterbending. Once on this quest we learn that there has been a war going on for 100 years with the Fire Nation trying to concur the world. The gang is also being followed by Zuko (Dev Patel) the Prince of the Fire Nation who was banished by his father and must capture the Avatar to be able to return home and reclaim his honor and power to the throne.

I am a big fan of the TV series and I did leave the theatre feeling that the movie couldn’t hold a candle to the show. Some of the character’s names were changed from the American pronunciation to the Asian pronunciation and that can lead to some laughable dialog as the main character Aang is pronounced as Ung. The movie seemed rushed but that is to be expected as it is composed of the first season of the series consisting of 20 episodes. If a director’s cut was released with the DVD then this movie could be a lot better as we need more time for character development and story elements. If that is done then this movie could be a 4 or 5 out of 5 but for now it is average, not a film you want to rush out and see but it’s worth a look if you don’t mind some small details from the show missing. A trilogy is planned to tell the whole story; I estimate the second movie to be out somewhere between Christmas 2011 and summer 2012.

That's why I'm apprehensive on going to see this movie. I love the cartoon and don't want the image of it harmed by this "adaptation" to the silver screen.
    Eh, I wouldn't recommend the movie to anyone over the age of 10. The acting was pathetic. The special effects were decent. The story was extremely rushed condensing 10 hours of shows into and hour and a half. Having names changed made the movie confusing. At some points it sounded like the characters were saying Uhhh, instead of Aang. And unlike the cartoon, it almost seems like interpretive dance at some points. In the cartoon there was usually something happening every time a character was making a motion. In the movie there are parts where its a good 5-10 seconds of dancing before anything even happens. And they didnt even get the nationalities of some of the main characters correct. Personally, I would love to see the rest of the movies, assuming they recast almost everyone and get rid of M. Night Shyamalan. Shyamalan should never be incharge of any part of any movie ever. The reason I said anyone over the age of 10 is because I would assume under that, they really wouldnt care about the acting or some of the other things that annoyed me about the movie. I don't mean to come off as mean, or anything just trying to give anyone that reads the review, a second opinion.
    acting was horrible. i stopped respecting M. Night after The Village - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.