Trying my hand at sewing cloth diapers
by, 03-Jul-2010 at 04:30 (1095 Views)
Over the last two days, I've been trying my hand at sewing a fitted cloth diaper. It was an adventure, to say the least. It wasn't until after I purchased all the materials, drew out the pattern, and cut the fabric that I realized that the power supply to the sewing machine had gone missing. Talk about a face-palm moment. So my options were: waiting until it turned up (not really an option), hand sewing the whole thing (which would be extremely sloppy), or manually working the machine (which would be tiring).
After some deliberation, I chose option 3, and spent the better portion of today cranking away at the sewing machine. But now that I'm wrapped up in a soft new diaper that's perfectly fitted to my body, it was definitely worth the effort! Not to toot my own horn, but it's pretty nice for a prototype. It's got 7 layers in total, a fleece top sheet and a flannel back sheet (with a cute purple flower pattern), complete with elastic waistbands and leg gathers, and velco closures.
Now that I've got the kinks worked out, I can give it a second go and really clean up the pattern. But first I've got to wait for that power supply to turn up... ain't no way I'm doing that by hand again. I've also got to find a way to keep the flannel from fraying at the edges, other than buying an overlock machine :P