View RSS Feed

ManicMunchkin

Trying my hand at sewing cloth diapers

Rate this Entry
Over the last two days, I've been trying my hand at sewing a fitted cloth diaper. It was an adventure, to say the least. It wasn't until after I purchased all the materials, drew out the pattern, and cut the fabric that I realized that the power supply to the sewing machine had gone missing. Talk about a face-palm moment. So my options were: waiting until it turned up (not really an option), hand sewing the whole thing (which would be extremely sloppy), or manually working the machine (which would be tiring).

After some deliberation, I chose option 3, and spent the better portion of today cranking away at the sewing machine. But now that I'm wrapped up in a soft new diaper that's perfectly fitted to my body, it was definitely worth the effort! Not to toot my own horn, but it's pretty nice for a prototype. It's got 7 layers in total, a fleece top sheet and a flannel back sheet (with a cute purple flower pattern), complete with elastic waistbands and leg gathers, and velco closures.

Now that I've got the kinks worked out, I can give it a second go and really clean up the pattern. But first I've got to wait for that power supply to turn up... ain't no way I'm doing that by hand again. I've also got to find a way to keep the flannel from fraying at the edges, other than buying an overlock machine :P

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0986.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	2169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0985.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	2170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0989.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	2171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0987.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	2172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0988.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	2173
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great job for a first attempt It looks good, I don't know how you do it lol
    I've been thinking of doing this too. Yours looks good! Was there a particular pattern you used?
    @Rosy, no, I really just estimated based on measurements of my body and checked my work as I went. A good idea is to cut out a square of fabric the approximate size of the back sheet, put it over your body, and mark out with a piece of sewing chalk where the contours of your body fall. I also used a pair of briefs (of the non-absorbent variety) as a reference to make sure my measurements weren't way far off.
    Good idea! Thanks.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.