View RSS Feed

Point

Most fun I've had for awhile!

Rate this Entry
So! Today I had a thing called START, something about teenage road safety. You'd think it'd be boring as watching paint dry but it was a blast!

Okay, maybe the first hour was dull, but that's because they had to teach us how to do stuff so when we were driving police cars around a giant track at high speeds we wouldn't kill ourselves

So anyway. Turns out this kid and I were the only two people there who'd had our licenses for less than a month. Scary! Thank goodness they stuck us in the same car, I'd have died of fright and embarrassment if I had to sit in there with a bunch of eighteen-year-olds!

First thing we did when we went out on the track was to get in our assigned car and have the professional instructor rocket us over to the place, going from 0 to 60 in seconds! We got out and looked at the cones they'd placed after a slightly inclined track (a 47 degree gradient, they say, something to do with centrifugal force). Most of us had the expression that said, "You've got to be kidding." And now an ASCII diagram!

O = Cone
X = Dead Cone
_ = Empty Space

O_______O
O__OOO__O
O__O_O__O
O__O_O__O
O__OOO__O
_________
____^____
O___|___O
O_______O

So they expected us to drive at 45 mph, and they'd yell out a direction (left or right) just before the cones and you'd swerve left and then right and then straighten it out just before you crashed into the cones on the SIDE.

Needless to say I barreled right through the middle once or twice!

_____________X
_________
_________
O________
O__OOO__X
O__O_X__X
O__O_X__O
O__OXX__O
_________
____^____
O___|___O
O_______O

The girl in the car with me and the other kid had been driving for a year and even she did. But man, that other kid never knocked down one cone until the thing after that!

After that they rearranged them and included breaking with the brakes that lock the steering when you slam down on them (a la older cars). I didn't knock any down that time, but I was probably just not as nervous then and the adrenaline was finally sinking into my system

A break after that long session, and unfortunately I ate too much food then because after the break we had off-road recovery and how to regain control of your car after it slides or swerves! :X I nearly threw up because by the end we were doing complete 360s in the car on the wet surface because nobody else was out there but the instructor and us and we wanted to have some fun. It was awesome but it's like riding a roller coaster. All day long.

I learned some great stuff, had a hell of a lot of fun, and even got cheaper insurance rates because of the certificate they give to you at the end!

Leave it to the police to teach people how to drive RIGHT!
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.