View RSS Feed

The life and mind of Takashi Morinosuka

Education reform in Florida

Rate this Entry
High school graduation requirements would be increased under a bill that has cleared the Florida Senate.

The chamber voted 36-1 for the bill (SB 4) that also would do away with the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test, or FCAT, for high school math and science and replace it with end-of-course
exams.

The measure next goes to the House where a similar bill (HB 7053) has one more committee hearing left before it can go to the floor.

The legislation would add geometry, algebra II, biology, chemistry and physics to the list of courses needed to graduate.

The requirements would be phased in from this fall through the 2014-15 school year for entering freshmen.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Why would you need to know chemistry/physics/biology if you were going into anything language based (interpreter), technology based, or something similar. It seems a dumb thing to force on kids. I barely passed my bio course... though the teacher missed a month and a half and none of the supplies were qualified to teach the course.
    ....Wow. So they do away with FCAT AFTER i graduate? T_T evil florida, i hate you.

But srsly, I'd prefer FCAT over having to pass a chemistry/physics etc test- I scraped away with a D in chem and didn't even TAKE physics.

They should go back to the idea of 'perfect attendance students who are passing the course with a C or higher should be exempt from final exams' :< would be so much more fair lol. never woulda had to take a final ever <3
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.