View RSS Feed

Rate this Entry
Well, a few days ago it was brought to my attention that i might have ADHD, so i took some online tests, researched it, and looked back on my life. Doing this caused somewhat of a revelation. I strongly believe now that this could be true. 'Tis kinda distressing =/ Should I seek a doctor's opinion? I don't want to get fucked up by potential perscriptions... Advice?

California just legalised pot for people with adhd...
    There are many ways to look at it, i know people who will tell you that ADHD is a myth and that you simply aren't trying hard enough for whatever reason. Other people see it as a genuine disease and take the pills and treatment and so on. Many people have claimed to be falsely diagnosed or to have broken through the barrier of ADHD and others have found success in professional treatment. Maybe it is a myth maybe not, but i consider you have two options, start with the "safer option" and if it doesn't work you can always try something else
    ^^^^ belay that comment Mr. Johnson! YAR!

There is no reason to be distressed, and no reason to smoke pot (unless you just really want to). If you really think that you have ADD, and really want to be sure, you do need to seek a doctors opinion.

I have had it since I was a little kid, and even as an adult, I have problems with it. Most people with ADD grow out of it, I'm one that didn't. There were many years that I went without medication, but in college, I was having severe problems with focusing and getting projects done, failing classes because of not having the attention span to keep up on homework, etc..., and I decided to have myself evaluated. I called my family doctor and got the name of a local clinical psychologist that did evaluations, and went through a couple of interviews (alone and with family regarding past and present issues), and a computerized test, both on and off a minimal (like 5mg) dose of ritalin, I think it was. I was re-diagnosed with ADD and started on a small dose of medication.

The effects were immediate and profound. It was like someone had turned off the static and constant music in my head and I had clarity. And peace. I could sit and actually clear my mind, it absolutely blew me away.

Over the years, the medications and dosages have changed, and I have stopped taking them on occasion, but I know they help me, and I can tell when I need to be on them. I'm currently taking Adderall XR, which I prefer because I only have to take 1 pill in the morning rather than every 6 hours or so.

Sorry to write a book here, there really is a lot more, but each person is different, so it may not apply in your case. Go see the Dr., so at least you will know one way or the other.

If you want to talk more PM me, 'K?
    Yes, seek the help of a doctor for the diagnosis. That's crucial. But then, perhaps seek out an expert in alternative medicine if you don't wish to use prescription drugs. Here's a great article for you! It gives you natural ways to control ADHD, and a little insight on a professionally prepared formula of herbs called Focus.

Hope the word from the hippie helps, man.
    Thank you all so much! I'm going to the doctor in the next couple of days to see what he/she thinks. I'll start there and take it one step at a time =) Thanks again everyone for reassurance and advice, and I'm sure I'll take you up on that offer lil' snap ^-^
    One thing to think about. A diagnosis doesn't change who you are, or how you handle your life. It just allows you to make improvements where you need to so you can get the most out of your life. There are some advantages with ADD/HD. We can multitask really well (as long as you keep notes and make lists), we have more energy and drive (good as long as you can stay focused), and, if I'm not mistaken, we are generally a more creative lot than others.

There are behavioral modifications that you can make to reduce the need for medications, but for some, it's hard to see it through without a parent/ loved one helping. Keeping a notepad, making lists, and keeping to a fairly rigid schedule are some activities that can help.

Good luck at the Doc! - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.