View RSS Feed

Tales of a Forgotten God

Lying within, a meaning is born

Rate this Entry
I recall having originally said -- no doubt back on TBDL before it [i]died[/i] -- something about a theme to my story that made it more than just some random and average babyfur story.

I intended, and still intend, for [i]Misery or Miracle?[/i] to be epic. This project of mine will undoubtedly take [i]years[/i] to finish. It cannot span a single year, nor two years, but the length and the contents within will justify the means of which it took to make it to the end. I just never realized how epic I could actually make it until I looked deep into what I had made. I set myself up, almost perfectly and without even thinking in advance, for amazing elements and plot points to be added to the story, all of which contribute [i]tremendously[/i] to the fabric I'm weaving. If I were to estimate, 45% of what I do is planned, while the remaining 55% is completely random and by chance. It is ironic, however, that not even knowing what I've set the stage for in the future can further enhance things in unimaginable ways.

I said something about a meaning before. I don't fully remember how I stated or phrased it back then, but...

In [i]Misery or Miracle?[/i], the story is not merely about a man born into impossible and wonderful conditions, then forced to give up that life for something lesser, simpler, and -- much to his surprise -- more enjoyable than previously expected; it is not just about the struggle between gods, between angels and demons, and between the forces of the universe pulling each other apart; it is not wholly comprised of the sins of growing up thought of as a monster, or the evils directed toward children who have done nothing but exist, or the horrors that men and women alike, no matter what the species, are capable of; it is all of these things and more. It's a story about overcoming these adversities, about making one's self into something more by finding a purpose and casting aside what others think, about struggling to survive and yet finding the hope and the will to go on.

And I never saw this meaning until a short while ago.

I set myself up to write something unintentionally epic and meaningful. With nearly a megabyte of notes, I've managed to create the future of the story, and I see just how powerful of a statement it's possible for me to make. And I can only hope I don't disappoint with the endeavor I have sought to perform.

Updated 19-Feb-2008 at 05:32 by Cen Aeonis

Categories

Comments

I don't think you'll disappoint, Aeonis. Here's my theory on that:

The fantasy genre, however wide and expansive, is filled with both masterpieces and absolute pieces of pulpy trash. It is commonly expected that a fantasy piece be a good story, but there are very few of them that strive to express themes, symbols, and purposes beyond just weaving a great tale -- they are primarily a form of entertainment-reading, not so much meant to teach lessons as they are to tell a great and unorthodox tale.

This gives a lot of flexibility to an aspiring writer, so if you're going to be putting in aspects of that sort, I've no doubt that they're going to be received well! There are few fantasy stories that desire to say something, and I have a lot of faith that yours can do this and more!

But this is the nature of a beast that you love: Once you've embraced it, you can't get it out of your head.

The next few years of this project will be the most frustrating, rewarding, enjoyable, impatient, grating, and thought-intensive ones of your life until such a time comes that this one is "finished" and new brain-children are born and ready to be weaned into brilliance!
    (I seriously wish I could give you rep for comments like these. :3)

I'm very glad to know that I have your support in this, and I'm glad to know that I'm doing something unique in the general field of fantasy writing. (Come to think of it, I don't think most of the fantasy stories I've ever read really present a deeper meaning, either -- I certainly don't see one in Harry Potter, Miss Rowling. >.>)

I find that the creations I strive to make are a real part of my soul. Naturally, finding a way to expand upon them in such a way as giving them deep and thought-provoking meaning would only seek to make this passionate hobby of mine more worth the time and effort spent.

However many years it takes me to complete this story, I'm positive not a single one will be wasted.
    (Don't worry about rep -- just suggestions on Three Days' War -- or as it's known in full form, The Vermillion Passage -- when time suits you! )

I think that there are certainly themes in lots of currently existing fantasy work, i.e. the relevance of Celtic history in R. Jordan's The Wheel Of Time, Salvatore's expression of racial stigma in his Drizzt Do'Urden books, and Rowling's ideas of governmental and societal distrust in the Harry Potter books. But when it comes to larger messages, there are rarely those. It's one of the things I love about fantasy: the fact that someone is writing a story for a story's sake.

Yet, if one can weave a message into a story, even better! ^ ^ You're going to do great at it!

I invite this concept widely, because personally, I feel that too many notable classics are ripped apart for hidden meanings where there are none. Our society has become one in which everything in every manner must have A Greater Purpose, but in doing so, many classical works lack the simple charisma that simple stories offer. To mix the two? It will be a challenge, but one I know you're well up to taking on!
    Then I, keeping that in mind, will do my best not to disappoint you. n.n
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.