View RSS Feed

Premetheus

My sleep has never been good

Rate this Entry
I've tried no caffiene for a month, I tried not being on electronics about 3 hours before bed, I've tried sleep aids out the wazoo, and I've tried deep breathing/relaxation. I keep telling people it is called insomnia for a reason but they still tell me the things I've already tried... I'm just going to have to see a doctor and organize a sleep test to see if I have sleep apnea or something. My mom, dad, and brother all have it. So there's a high chance that I have it too. On the contrary though... I don't exibit the symtoms outright... so maybe it really is just that my brain won't shut down at night. Perhaps I think way too much and it keeps me awake. That however, doesn't account for the fact that for half a year I was getting amazing sleep and I didn't change anything I do during the day. I would fall asleep between 9 PM-12 AM and wake up between 5 AM-9 AM feeling refreshed and awake. This was about 2-3 years ago though. Most of my life my sleep has either been really good, really bad, or somehow a mix of both depending on the day I had.

But as I have mentioned, if I can, I want to get a sleep test.

Comments

Yet another thing that my former self seems to have in common with you...

• Excessively busy mind
    • Frequent or continuous fight or flight response
    • Persistent hyper-vigilance

Basically over simplified, your stress (physical and/or emotional)...
    ...is keeping you on a defense status while looking for reprieve and, keeping you wary of dangers while, remaining ready to defend...

It may be that your hypersensitivity is a result of that or, is causing this conditional set-up. (or, some of both?)

A process and reaction loop or, circular-reference has likely ensued; the sleep deprivation, is in-fact a threat and is injurious to your health... furthering your defense response (consciously or not).

...thereby, keeping you on defense status as well as depleting your resources and, creating a sort of myopic field-of view too...

In addition to that, habits may form, setting up a predisposition of cycles - perhaps, once you've been depleted and near total collapse (including a strong desire or feeling a need to end your life); then a sort of reset occurs, that allows you to start relatively anew - and, this would be the point where you are feeling and doing considerably better... until, that cycle erodes to the point of starting the defense cycle yet again... It can keep going and may diminish over time or, it may get increasingly aggressive or prolonged...

Search: "hazards of adrenaline response" or similar, for some in depth physiology on the matter.

I too, am particularly sensitive to a number of medications (around 2% of the typical population)... ironically, that sensitivity may have been a result of the intense and, prolonged wash of hormones coursing through my body for so many years...

What greatly helped me (besides competent and compassionate professional help) was Mirtazapine, to interrupt this cycle (or, in my case - my defense system was stuck on to where I had little reprieve.)... I noticed an improvement in as few as 3-days (not typical); I could sleep properly and actually feel rested when I awoke. Yes, I did feel comparatively flat for a time - when we go from only knowing war-zones, to basically arriving in peace times, the contrast is stark... Normal doesn't feel normal...

Unfortunately, many people going through this adjustment phase, feel as though they are being robbed of their personality at this point and, will discontinue the medication (often against medical advice)... It's as though you go from a special-ops warrior all of your life, to a docile gardener tending to your carrots...

Transitional and integrative support is paramount through this period and, much as seems to happen to soldiers returning from battle; it is a largely under-served time of need...

Another sort of treatment that I came across some years later: Addressing what was likely a deep-sleep disorder, that I learned about while addressing a persistent primary-nocturnal enuresis (into my late 30's); was this so-called brain(frequency)-entrainment program that I downloaded and utilized with my PC - "binaural tones or beats", that was suggested that could coach or coax or guide (en train) one's brain operating frequency (in this case, while sleeping or, preparing to). {SEE: Sleep-cycles and associated frequencies}.

This seemed a bit of metaphysical hocus-pocus yet, I seemed to get pretty good results... I began to wake up to reasonably loud sounds and, instead of peeing my bed 1-3 times a night, 5-7 days of every week; I was down to usually 1 time a night, once or twice around a week or two.

I did have a sleep-study done a few years back; though I didn't have sleep-apnea; I did wake-up without recollection, hundreds of times that night. (according to the instruments and observers).

I hope that this may provide you with some more tangible perspectives - individual mileage may vary yet, it's a good research foray to immerse yourself in for a time...

My best for now,
    -Marka

Quote Originally Posted by Marka
    Yet another thing that my former self seems to have in common with you...

• Excessively busy mind
    • Frequent or continuous fight or flight response
    • Persistent hyper-vigilance

Basically over simplified, your stress (physical and/or emotional)...
    ...is keeping you on a defense status while looking for reprieve and, keeping you wary of dangers while, remaining ready to defend...

It may be that your hypersensitivity is a result of that or, is causing this conditional set-up. (or, some of both?)

A process and reaction loop or, circular-reference has likely ensued; the sleep deprivation, is in-fact a threat and is injurious to your health... furthering your defense response (consciously or not).

...thereby, keeping you on defense status as well as depleting your resources and, creating a sort of myopic field-of view too...

In addition to that, habits may form, setting up a predisposition of cycles - perhaps, once you've been depleted and near total collapse (including a strong desire or feeling a need to end your life); then a sort of reset occurs, that allows you to start relatively anew - and, this would be the point where you are feeling and doing considerably better... until, that cycle erodes to the point of starting the defense cycle yet again... It can keep going and may diminish over time or, it may get increasingly aggressive or prolonged...

Search: "hazards of adrenaline response" or similar, for some in depth physiology on the matter.

I too, am particularly sensitive to a number of medications (around 2% of the typical population)... ironically, that sensitivity may have been a result of the intense and, prolonged wash of hormones coursing through my body for so many years...

What greatly helped me (besides competent and compassionate professional help) was Mirtazapine, to interrupt this cycle (or, in my case - my defense system was stuck on to where I had little reprieve.)... I noticed an improvement in as few as 3-days (not typical); I could sleep properly and actually feel rested when I awoke. Yes, I did feel comparatively flat for a time - when we go from only knowing war-zones, to basically arriving in peace times, the contrast is stark... Normal doesn't feel normal...

Unfortunately, many people going through this adjustment phase, feel as though they are being robbed of their personality at this point and, will discontinue the medication (often against medical advice)... It's as though you go from a special-ops warrior all of your life, to a docile gardener tending to your carrots...

Transitional and integrative support is paramount through this period and, much as seems to happen to soldiers returning from battle; it is a largely under-served time of need...

Another sort of treatment that I came across some years later: Addressing what was likely a deep-sleep disorder, that I learned about while addressing a persistent primary-nocturnal enuresis (into my late 30's); was this so-called brain(frequency)-entrainment program that I downloaded and utilized with my PC - "binaural tones or beats", that was suggested that could coach or coax or guide (en train) one's brain operating frequency (in this case, while sleeping or, preparing to). {SEE: Sleep-cycles and associated frequencies}.

This seemed a bit of metaphysical hocus-pocus yet, I seemed to get pretty good results... I began to wake up to reasonably loud sounds and, instead of peeing my bed 1-3 times a night, 5-7 days of every week; I was down to usually 1 time a night, once or twice around a week or two.

I did have a sleep-study done a few years back; though I didn't have sleep-apnea; I did wake-up without recollection, hundreds of times that night. (according to the instruments and observers).

I hope that this may provide you with some more tangible perspectives - individual mileage may vary yet, it's a good research foray to immerse yourself in for a time...

My best for now,
    -Marka
    I will do some research on the item in question that you have made a good point on. You are entirely accurate and it frustates me because I don't know how I missed what you said. I would have liked to figure this out on my own, but am happy regardless because this gives me a much clearer perspective than the muddled stress induced panic I seem to have lurking around waiting to disrupt my peace. I thank you very much for your response and I am happy I can always count on you for solid non-offensive advice that is critical thinking, with tact. You are excellent at describing me even beyond what I know which is a good thing for me. I need outside perspectives because I know my own is foggy at best.
    Either I need a bifocal check, or I need to move my monitor closer/farther. At first glance, I thought the title said "My sheep has never been good". Good for a chuckle, and it made me look!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx
    Either I need a bifocal check, or I need to move my monitor closer/farther. At first glance, I thought the title said "My sheep has never been good". Good for a chuckle, and it made me look!
    Hahahahaha XD
    As I started reading one thought popped into my mind and then you answered it.

Do talk to your doctor about a sleep study. It sure made a world of difference for me, when I got my CPAP.

The other thing I have added (and again talk to a doctor) is melatonin and Calmforte. The later is an herbal blend.

Quote Originally Posted by egor
    As I started reading one thought popped into my mind and then you answered it.

Do talk to your doctor about a sleep study. It sure made a world of difference for me, when I got my CPAP.

The other thing I have added (and again talk to a doctor) is melatonin and Calmforte. The later is an herbal blend.
    I've tried melatonin in varying degrees with 0% success rate. But I'm sure a sleep test will answer my questions as to why I cannot de-stress and sleep at bedtime.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.