View RSS Feed

Tales of a Forgotten God

Creating a language? Hooooo, boy...

Rate this Entry
Teeheeheeheehee...[sissy giggling]

So, first I said I was planning on using the toddler lisp, and I can see how that drove Rance completely insane and off three cliffs simultaneously, though not at the notion of me wanting to use it, but at the very idea of infant-speak as a whole. ^.^ Now I simply wonder what he'd say to my next statement...and I'll probably find out tonight.

As part of my story, I'm creating...an entirely new language.

What I mean by that is, I'm developing, perfecting, and experimenting with a made-up form of speech, its grammar, its structuring rules, its pronunciation, and its application into my story as a whole. The way I've been able to set it up has seen fit to work perfectly into the fantasy feel I'm establishing in my story's universe, as a method of furthering the creation I'm attempting to bring to life through words, as a method of bringing vividness and a distinctive feel to the world of Misery or Miracle.

It's very hard to explain the intricacies of just what exactly it is I'm going to be doing, but...I'm planning on using the language, after having been working on its mechanics for over a year now, in my story at certain points where it's called for. This isn't necessarily something the characters will all start to speak in out of nowhere. (Heavens, no.) Much like the toddler lisp, it's going to be used (intelligently) by certain characters whose backgrounds allow them to speak it (Aeonis, Elion, and Raem are all beings who know the language and who use it around each other occasionally).

How will this work into my story if the readers can't understand it, you ask?

I don't particularly want to just say they're speaking the language and then type out what the translation is in English. No, that simply won't do. I've created an extension to the story's overall feel that I need to show to the reader, and merely mentioning that the characters are speaking some vast, ancient, and unexplainable pattern of words isn't enough in this case. When the language is pre-existing, it's possible to apply the words in English to the matching words and grammatics in the corresponding language. When it's something purely created as an element of fantasy, the reader, I believe, needs to witness it for themselves, much as mannerisms and speech abnormalities sometimes need to be integrated into a character's words.

Unlike with the toddler dialect, I can't be convinced at all to change the way I'm going to be pulling this whole thing off. The language, after being spoken, will follow with a short translation in parentheses, either of what a single word or a number of words mean, or of the entire sentence. This is how I've made it; this is how it will be; this is not changing. Simple. So no ranting and raving over what a mistake it might potentially be, Rance. :3

Just wanted to throw it out there for you guys so you're not struck suddenly by surprise by it. :3

The only word as part of the language you may have noticed me using so far is "dono," as spoken by Elion.

What does it mean?

You'll find out later. :P
Categories

Comments

*Laughs* I won't rant and rave over a mistake that doesn't sound like one!

Although it isn't necessarily my style, I totally get where you're coming from with that! I think it'll be an effective way to incorporate it in your story without getting in the way of the reader. I assume that it'll look something like this:

"Kasa en amen de ra oudin?" (This is how it works?)

If so, the only observation that I can offer is that readers -- whether they're lazy or just by eventual habit -- might just skim right over the language and get right to the English. But I don't think it's a bad idea at all!

I've got about twenty hand-written pages of language for my manuscripts that I try to incorporate in tiny bits, but most of it will never get used. The only time I'm using it is a) when one character who doesn't know the language overhears (which gives a good chance for it to be seen but rarely translated), or b) when a character incorporates it into translated language. I've derived a lot of the language in my story from modified Powhatan. I'm having some words show up commonly in regular use, but foregoing a lot of unless I need to, just because I don't want to lose a reader in minor things.

I think it'll be interesting to see how you use this, Aeonis! I look forward to seeing it in action!
    [hugs] Hooray! We're in agreement!
    So...how do we swear in this language, at swearing is always the most important part of any spoken tongue, least I think so.
    I call them "-dono phrases." n.n
    Aww..but...but...toddler lisp ;_; What will become of it?!
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.