View RSS Feed

Shybug

Core 2 Duo VS I3/I5/I7

Rate this Entry
Hmm, I'm a poweruser and used to own a i3 and noticed one thing.

For the average joe, most people won't need the power of a i3 unless there a gamer or into video editing.

Don't know why people tell other people to go out and by a expansive $1600 when there current one can do most things they need, just needs a defrag.

Honestly, the only real difference between a core 2 duo and i3 for me was the fact that video rendering was taking forever eg.

i3 1080p mp4 takes around 4 or 5 minutes to render a 4 minute video.

while a core 2 duo would take around an hour.

I've never really utilized the full power of the i3, sure its faster and sometimes its noticeable, but most of the time, I can live with a core 2 duo, for the exception of occasional 100% cpu usage, but that is fixed by a restart.

Peace. I'm feeling quite happy atm.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

The old helix of PC/Notebook/anything similar getting too slow? Get a new one/better CPU ^_-

While it's usually just the OS being messy over time and/or sometimes the HDD actually being the only bottleneck if it has been written a lot over half a decade or more. Although my old one still runs great, with an error count that's trough the roof (naturally BSODīs, power failures and so on over the years). But it's a bit small, so it's just there for backups by now.

Nevertheless sounds like you're happy with your i3 now :)
    my laptop has a pentium quad core N3540... maybe not quite as good as an i3. my new computer will have an i7 4790k which.... is overkill, really. But I couldn't resist.

core 2 duo is sort of old but still runs pretty well for lots of things.
    Exactly that is my point.

I see crazy people recommending grandmas to use a I7.. its hilarious.

I'm the type of girl that takes things for granted, if it does what I need, I'll take it, it would be nicer if it would be faster, but its better than nuttin.

Of course being in 2015, a core 2 duo kind of bottlenecks in certain tasks compared to an i3, I've seen a huge difference in rendering and sometimes web browsing, but none the less, it still works pretty good.
    If you're anything of a gamer, the appropriate CPU/GPU combination will make all the difference.

A while ago, I was running an old LGA775 Core2Duo E8400 (OC to 3.5GHz) which was doing an okay job at getting good framerates with my games.
    Then when I decided to upgrade, I went second hand with an i5-2310 @ 2.9GHz, and that made a world of difference in speed, since the CPU was the bottleneck for the longest time.

Soon enough, I'll be upgrading yet again in my "futureproof" build, i7-4790K, R9 390, the works.
    Yes, I've had the same issue, and am aware of that, but as I was saying, for most tasks it won't really make a difference, with the exception of gaming and videos, the core 2 duo is a amazing processor

I'll be upgrading to a AMD 8 core soon, yes I'm going the way of the AMD, only because I'm a cheep person
    My wife got my old C2D machine, my daughter got the same specs from ebay parts. Snatched a Core2Duo E6700 for 5 Dollars(!!!) there. They run great and are up to all of their tasks. (Finding some decent RAM sticks for that was a completely different story...)
    Mine is an i5 though. Wanted some power after all. Video rendering on an i5 is bliss. I despise weak CPUs since The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion was released. Having 16gigs of ram also helps when you run a Ramdisk which hosts Firefox and your Temp folder, or want to run four instances of the Lord of the Rings:Online client simultaneously. The thing I hated most about old computers WAS defragging. Go buy an SSD. Works wonders. Thinking about even buying one for my Amiga1200, although it already just needs four seconds to boot into the Workbench with its archaic IDE harddisk.

Quote Originally Posted by BenTennyson
    My wife got my old C2D machine, my daughter got the same specs from ebay parts. Snatched a Core2Duo E6700 for 5 Dollars(!!!) there. They run great and are up to all of their tasks. (Finding some decent RAM sticks for that was a completely different story...)
    Mine is an i5 though. Wanted some power after all. Video rendering on an i5 is bliss. I despise weak CPUs since The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion was released. Having 16gigs of ram also helps when you run a Ramdisk which hosts Firefox and your Temp folder, or want to run four instances of the Lord of the Rings:Online client simultaneously. The thing I hated most about old computers WAS defragging. Go buy an SSD. Works wonders. Thinking about even buying one for my Amiga1200, although it already just needs four seconds to boot into the Workbench with its archaic IDE harddisk.
    I'm not really a fan of SSDs, though I wouldn't mind getting a self destructing one cause I'm a person who is paranoid about security.

SSDs are okay, but consider the fact that I have over 4TBs worth of HDDs, though I'm aware of the speed differences there will be, I've heard. wouldn't mind getting one once there capaicity increases and there cheeper.

I've seen videos of computers from like 2003 with SSds, really cool

Quote Originally Posted by BluePanda
    I'm not really a fan of SSDs, though I wouldn't mind getting a self destructing one cause I'm a person who is paranoid about security.

SSDs are okay, but consider the fact that I have over 4TBs worth of HDDs, though I'm aware of the speed differences there will be, I've heard. wouldn't mind getting one once there capaicity increases and there cheeper.

I've seen videos of computers from like 2003 with SSds, really cool
    No reason to put EVERYTHING of your 4tb on SSDs. Just OS is enough to make your computer fly.
    my new PC will have a 128GB SSD (Samsung 850 Pro) for the OS, plus a 2TB 7200rpm HDD
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.