View RSS Feed

FauxPas

How do you figure it out?

Rate this Entry
Now I'm only 25 and people keep telling me, I have time to figure it out and you're young don't worry about it. But as happy as I am that I got the Manager promotion at my job, it's not what I wanna do with my life. But the biggest problem now lies that I don't have ANY FUCKING CLUE what I want to do with my life, something I will be happy to do for the next 20+ years.

People ask me "well what are you interested in" and I have no idea how to answer. I'm not really good at much, I don't know cars, I don't know computers, I'm not very strong for manual labor.

Part of me wants to try to go into broadcasting, but don't know how difficult it is to get into.

I don't really have any dreams so to speak.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You will sooner or later. People don't know what they want to do in a day, it takes years sometimes to figure out what your passion is and how to make it into a career.
    I'm going to go against Boobybird. I understand this better than most people. I'm in a similar place. If not exactly the same place. I was promoted just like you. I like the money, but I hate the work. It's something anyone can do. That thought has hunted my mind since I got the job. I personally want a gaming style job. It one of the few things I know real well. I understand how fustating it is to hear. "You'll find it" I want to hurt someone everytime someone says that. That kind of answer is pointless and useless.
    DarkBabyMagicain, I know how frustrating it is to hear, "You'll find it", but that really is the best answer.

For me, I drifted through High School hunting the same answers. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), my parents told me that I had to have a plan for after High School before graduation or else I would be thrown out of the house. I had a few ideas of what I wanted to do but nothing really seemed right. Well, about 3 months before graduation, I woke up from a dead sleep in the middle of the night and knew exactly what I wanted to do. From there, all the plans and everything just sort of fell into place.

I guess if there is anything to pull from is that our subconscious has a way of making decisions under time constraints.

Like boobybird89 said, You'll find it exactly when you mean to.
    Its the rare person who finds something that they really like to do for 20 years non-stop. Except, of course, for things that no one will pay you to do. <snicker> Its likely that you'll have to shift gears from time to time and do a number of different things. Things change. Technology changes. Skill requirements and job descriptions change constantly, even if you stay in essentially the same job. Even if you don't especially like what you're doing, you still have to keep your eyes open and adapt as things change, or you'll be out on the sidewalk. Really successful people see the changes coming and start getting ready in advance.

Most people hate their jobs (unless they're not very bright). Those that say otherwise are mostly pretending for the benefit of their bosses, customers, and coworkers. Or to convince themselves. It is easier to work with a smile on your face and a positive attitude. Work sucks, but we all need to eat. Its better if you can do it quickly and well and move on to the stuff you like.

Pattern recognition.... its all about pattern recognition. Sales, athletics, engineering... its all about recognizing what you have to do to master a skill or a problem quickly. You still have to put in the time, but its better if you don't waste time on dead ends or unproductive activity. If you've learned to do that in one thing, you can probably adapt it in another quicker than others.

Be a learner, learn to be a quick learner. It doesn't matter so much what you pick, as long as you pick something and get after it. Learn a programming language, or a piece of business software. Once you've learned one, the others are easier because logic is logic, and you'll have learned what to look for in the next one. For the most part, the learning part is going to be more fun than the grinding away at it for another decade or two.

"Education" in the general sense is worthless, once you get past basic math and reading skills. Some specific classes for specific skills can be useful to shortcut the learning process and learn the basics, but once you get past that, there's nothing like doing it for real to make it real.

There. Now that you're thinking "WTF, what's Maxx on about now?", I'm outta here.
    You'll find that most just end up content with whatever they're doing as long as it pays the bills, and some just never really know what they want. Then again, when do people ever really know what they want.

Just keep at it, really focus on what you're good at then aim for it in the workplace...
    I'm finding more and more that it's not what you do, but the attitude in which you do it.....(yeah I know....heard it before haha) but actually, work is work... you just have to make what you do meaningful. I've been at uni working hard at my art, but seriously, I don't see it paying the bills much as I'd like, but the work I do on the side does. I guess what I'm saying is kinda 'suck it up' work wise especially if it's not to demanding, make time to enjoy what does spark you up, and always be open to opportunities cause I'm pretty sure that's where the good stuff resides. Stay happy
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.