View RSS Feed

FauxPas

Should I feel Guilty?

Rate this Entry
So I have been thinking lately a lot about work and the time I request off from work and the question keeps coming up; Should I feel guilty for requesting a lot of time off? and by a lot I mean 2-3 weekends a year which is approx 12/365 days.

The biggest thing is how close together some of the time off is. Like BLFC was this May, RMFC is in August and I'm thinking about doing the Furry Cruise in November.

I keep being told by another Manager I work with that I take a lot of time off, but I see it as, Why do we work? So we can earn money to pay bills like rent, car, and food and with what's left over to enjoy life rather than just going through the every day motions of eat, work, sleep.

So should I feel bad for taking as much time off as I want to providing I am financially stable to do so? Or should I listen to my Manager and take it easy and not ask for as much time off?

(Keep in mind the person I request time off from has said nothing to me about my requests)
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

EDIT: It's also important to note I do put in requests every now and again for single days off on weekends and if I need multiple days I try my best to do weekdays when my job is not as busy.
    Guilty? Certainly not. You might begin to present the appearance of someone who isn't strongly committed because of those days off and only you can readily determine how important that is, whether it's real or just appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor
    Guilty? Certainly not. You might begin to present the appearance of someone who isn't strongly committed because of those days off and only you can readily determine how important that is, whether it's real or just appearance.
    They should know how committed I am, I hit my 8th year on the 17'th. I am as my GM and SM describes me as the strongest supervisor they have.

But I get what you are saying.
    12 days a year seems such a short amount of time, please don't feel guilty about that! Life is short enough, you should spend as much time as you can doing the things you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfall
    12 days a year seems such a short amount of time, please don't feel guilty about that! Life is short enough, you should spend as much time as you can doing the things you love.
    Well that doesn't include the random day here and there, the occasional Friday or Saturday, but the time that I request that's multiple days in a row is only like 3 times a year and it's never more than 4-5 days in a row
    Guilty? Of course you should feel guilty!

Oh...you mean about the job? As long as your employer is OK with it and giving you good reviews, don't worry about it.
    12 days a year is not a ton of time off. In most developed countries it would be illegal to give that little. The fact that someone is chiding you over that... they're either ignorant, an asshole, or both.

Before going back to school, my large employer started people at 1 PTO day + 1 paid sick leave day earned per month, and increased that rate based on years of service with the employer.
    No, don't feel guilty. Taking time off is a good thing from an employers perspective. It reduces the chance of burnout, increases productivity, gives you something to look forward to, and generally increases morale. Our best employee just happens to be the one who takes the most time off.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx
    As Long as your employer is OK with it and giving you good reviews, don't worry about it.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.