Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When people lose bladder control from wearing

Diaper Lover
    Caretaker

I don't think wearing diapers could induce a real incontinence, but releasing your bladder each time you feel the need to pee when diapered could make the holding more difficult when you ll be out of diapers.
    Same for the night time: you can get used to pee through your sleep.
    I dont think that s a problem: by choosing to wear diapers, you give your brain the message "you can pee without stress".

Diaper Lover

So from whats been said so far, it sounds like wearing diapers often (e.g. every night) and using them as intended will eventually cause some degree of incontinence mainly by diminishing bladder capacity through releasing urine quickly when you *think* there is something to release (simulated urge incontinence becomes real urge incontinence). I'd add that the same thing applies to bowel incontinence. If you use them enough you'll need 'em. Similar to wearing glasses when you don't need them: you'll mess up your vision and *need* glasses anyway.

I think incontinence gained this way can be fixed through surgery but this will cost a fortune and could to more problems either soon after or later on in life. Alternatively redoing potty training could be as effective but imagine trying to do that process now as opposed to when you were a child and had proper support in place.

Be careful always. Too much of something can harm. Be careful.

Adultbaby
    Diaper Lover

Quote Originally Posted by brimmer View Post
    So from whats been said so far, it sounds like wearing diapers often (e.g. every night) and using them as intended will eventually cause some degree of incontinence mainly by diminishing bladder capacity through releasing urine quickly when you *think* there is something to release (simulated urge incontinence becomes real urge incontinence). I'd add that the same thing applies to bowel incontinence. If you use them enough you'll need 'em. Similar to wearing glasses when you don't need them: you'll mess up your vision and *need* glasses anyway.
    It's not the same at all. Wearing glasses when you don't need them clearly messes up your vision to the point where its just better to wear them all the time.

But with peeing and the other thing. At night your body will naturally tighten up the muscles so you don't piss or poop yourself in your sleep. Your bladder might shrink from not holding it for periods throughout the day, but it'll always hold some at night.

This has been discussed many times on this forum and on others and I don't think a conclusive answer has ever been reached. It's probably possible that you might lose some control as a result of extended wearing, but it is by no means a certainty. It presumably depends on whether you have any other contributory factors and whether you have set out intending to lose control or not.

To illustrate this with an example - I've worn 24/7 for over a year and I believe I still have the same level of control as when I started. I'd hate to become incontinent and would stop wearing like this if I thought that was a possibility. It is however possible to become diaper trained, which isn't the same as un-potty training. It's where you automatically go in your padding but only if you are in padding.

Adultbaby
    Diaper Lover
    Babyfur
    Diaperfur
    Little

i dont think its as simple as that people. ther is probably going to be an underlying problem that causes the problme toget worse. i dont think its as simple as wearing nappys is going to cause someone to become permantly incocntinent.

Diaper Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Garzilla View Post
    I agree that wearing diapers will not cause incontinence in that I loose complete control. I have noticed, for me, that after I wear during the day for a period of time I just wet when anything is in my bladder. So there is no effort to pee, it just comes out. I can only do this when I have completely relaxed my bladder which takes some concentration.

During the night I do wet in my sleep. On rare occasions I will wake up first but usually it is while sleeping diapered.

For me being able to wet, seemingly involuntarily has been a matter of establishing new habits. So it now seems to be an automatic thing to me even though I do have control. One early realization of this happened while I was wearing on a trip. After a couple of hours I noticed I was wet and leaking, yet I never realized I was wetting when I was wetting. This created a problem because the wetting continued because of a conscious decision to proceed with the diapers as though I had no control. Even with this situation, had I chosen to exercise control I would have and the wetting would have stopped.

Lesson learned, it is possible to have a level of control over ones own body where a seemingly infantile lack of control can temporarily exist.
    Garzilla, I completely agree with you about the relaxation aspect and further. I can -indeed- let it go without any problem, but only when I am fully relaxed and comfortable in my diaper, day or night. However, at night I always wake up, but I realize that I can 'learn' not to wake up at night too... The point is that the frequency of wearing is just not high enough for me (approx. once per 2 weeks or so) My conclusion is that I 'train' myself too much to wake up during the night and go out to have a leak. There is simply no way around that. However, the *desire* still is much alive with me to wake up and find yourself with your diaper very very wet ;-)

Diaper Lover

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    This has been discussed many times on this forum and on others and I don't think a conclusive answer has ever been reached. It's probably possible that you might lose some control as a result of extended wearing, but it is by no means a certainty. It presumably depends on whether you have any other contributory factors and whether you have set out intending to lose control or not.
    Well, this is kind of the ideal place for research of this kind. Nearly all of us wear as regularly as we can, many of us, myself included, very often. Many of us, myself included, have learned to let go more or less in our sleep when wearing. If any of us has found that we have lost ordinary control of our bladder (at least any of us that are not actively trying to lose ordinary control of our bladder) this would be a good time to speak up. If there are many (any?) of us who have, I guess that'd be pretty strong evidence in the affirmative. If no one offers personal testomony, I'd say that's pretty strong evidence in the negative.

Let me just say that my experience, at least, confirms that one does not necessarily lose bladder control from wearing. This has not happened to me, although, as always, your mileage may vary.

cgh: I like this sense of "diaper trained". Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    This is why in many patients, doctors advise against using diapers for the management of incontinence. For instance, for a person with diminished bladder capacity, wearing diapers and just letting go at the slightest urge, might cause a worsening of the bladder capacity over time. A person can find endless examples in medical articles of people who started out with overactive bladder symptoms. Not being able to find a bathroom in time, and to embarrassed to talk to a doctor, the person might start using diapers. Continued use of the diapers might lead the person to be comfortable in using the diapers, causing them to let go at the onset of a urge. Over time of not holding it, then led to such a diminished bladder capacity, that by the time the person talks to a doctor, bladder surgery might be the only option.
    I completely disagree with this post. Where are the endless articles you refer to? Do you mean peer-reviewed literature? I have had an overactive bladder my entire life, which worsened about ten years ago. I have also seen many urologists and done a lot of research on my condition. The main reason doctors don't want to see their patients going the diaper management route is because they are basically throwing in the towel (or opting out of more severe attempts at a cure, such as surgery). My overactive bladder condition is pretty bad, but it has not gotten worse in NINE years of wearing 24/7.

The topic of frequently wearing diapers causing incontinence has come up in many other threads. Other than a psychological dependence and maybe a slight weakening of the sphincter muscles, which can both be easily reversed, diapers do not cause incontinence. Incontinence is a symptom of a disease or injury to the body.

Adultbaby
    Diaper Lover
    Sissy / LG
    Little

I found that it is easier to go and it seems that my bladder has been weakened due to holding it for long periods of time while I am awake often but I don' think you can become incontinent though.

Adultbaby
    Diaper Lover

When I was little, admittedly a long time ago, I started to wet the bed after my parents divorce. I was taken to a doctor who told my mom,"just put him back in night diapers for a while". After the initial shock, the diapers became rather comforting. I was not feeling guilty for causing my mother so much extra work. That was her strategy to get me to wear them. To help mommy have less work. As any one here knows a dry bed is a comfy bed and I was never made to feel bad in diapers. Cause it was our little secret.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast