Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cerebral Palsy and diapers

Diaper Lover
    Incontinent

? for the guys that are 24/7 have you noticed wearing contribute any to skin breakdown? I am in my chair 8+ hours a day so this is always a concern for me. I'm getting really tired of always washing my underwear from my ever more frequent messy accidents. I'm just one of those people that worries about what my friends and family might say or think. But I really just need to suck it up and do it. I struggle with using urinals independently and the idea of catheters and leg bags is ok but they dont hold as much and still wouldn't help contain my accidents any. Any Thoughts?

Incontinent

darkknight thats a good question i wear 24/7 but i dont notice skin breakdown much and like you i use a chair alot i do find that i do need to change sometimes due to pad breakdown due to sweat though. If i was you i would talk to your family and friends about your problems and see whaty they say. I know this is hard and embarrasing to do but they are there to help. I would also go to you doctor to get a formal diagnosis i see in earler powsts you appear to be reluctant to do this but believe me it helps it may make your friends and family more understanding of the situation. Catheters can sometimes cause more problems than what theyre worth because you have a greater risk of getting a UTI and like you say they dont hold much. plus ive tried a shweath and didnt like it as i can crawl around indoors and using a sheath and bag made crawling difficult.

Babyfur
    Caretaker

To the op: What type of CP you got? My bro has spastic quad CP...Anyway, back on topic...There's a few people I know of that have CP here, Not gonna mention names but I'll certianly direct them to this thread.

Diaper Lover
    Incontinent

Quote Originally Posted by cp88 View Post
    darkknight thats a good question i wear 24/7 but i dont notice skin breakdown much and like you i use a chair alot i do find that i do need to change sometimes due to pad breakdown due to sweat though. If i was you i would talk to your family and friends about your problems and see whaty they say. I know this is hard and embarrasing to do but they are there to help. I would also go to you doctor to get a formal diagnosis i see in earler powsts you appear to be reluctant to do this but believe me it helps it may make your friends and family more understanding of the situation. Catheters can sometimes cause more problems than what theyre worth because you have a greater risk of getting a UTI and like you say they dont hold much. plus ive tried a shweath and didnt like it as i can crawl around indoors and using a sheath and bag made crawling difficult.
    I will def be asking my doctor his advice the next time I see him. Im going to be traveling soon and obviously flying makes getting to the bathroom all the more difficult. I usually end up not going at all for the duration of the flight which sucks.
    It sucks that diapers are so taboo I wish I could just wear them without anyone making a big deal out of it. At least when I get my doctors opinion I can use that when I talk to my family about it. I really appreciate all of your great advice my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Tezzers View Post
    To the op: What type of CP you got? My bro has spastic quad CP...Anyway, back on topic...There's a few people I know of that have CP here, Not gonna mention names but I'll certianly direct them to this thread.
    Whats up I have spastic quad cp too

Diaper Lover
    Incontinent

I've never had a problem with a breakdown. Don't worry about what your friend think, It sound like you really need a diaper, your true friends will understand that. On the issue of messy accidents, I had a runny BM tonight in public, diaper held it clean up was easy. Without a diaper it would have been a diaster

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tezzers View Post
    I have Ataxic CP, does your brother wear a diaper?
    Last edited by Trevor; 22-Aug-2012 at 00:05. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.

Adultbaby
    Caretaker

I actually have CP too and it has been causing me problems for the past few years. Up til a year ago I was working part-time in a restaurant as a dishwasher and I had to leave after management was unwilling to compromise with me on lowering the amount of hours and lessening the physical demand on me.

I find it hard to move some days, but I am glad I can still ride a bike even through all this cause I feel biking helps me out. I do wear diapers too cause of CP cause sometimes if I am not paying attention, I may have accidents. Nice to know I'm not alone with CP!

WildThing121675

Adultbaby
    Diaper Lover

Thing is if people know you have CP. They already know you have disabled. I don't think they will care if you use a diaper on or not. I don't think it even cross their minds. I had a friend who had CP. I never ask him and I never cared to ask him. He was a great friend in school.

Adultbaby
    Babyfur
    Sissy / LG
    Little

I have somewhat mild CP and can walk just fine but when travelling outdoors I often do use a wheelchair (which, ironically, was previously owned by a schoolmate/friend who had spina bifida) or when I get injured or get myalgia I'll use the chair then too. Otherwise it's just another chair (My room does not currently have another chair to sit in - my fan sits on the other chair right now and they got rid of my disgusting old armchair). I was in diapers until 3 1/2 years old including my entire first year of preschool (at that time, the only child the preschool had EVER accepted while still in diapers, disabled or not). I peed my pants one day in kindergarten, thinking I was wearing a Pull-Up, but I wasn't. I also have Asperger syndrome and high functioning autism, and there have been all these "little" things that have come together and brought me to embrace my AB side.

Diaper Lover
    Incontinent

Quote Originally Posted by 1983cpdude View Post
    I've never had a problem with a breakdown. Don't worry about what your friend think, It sound like you really need a diaper, your true friends will understand that. On the issue of messy accidents, I had a runny BM tonight in public, diaper held it clean up was easy. Without a diaper it would have been a diaster
    You're right the mess and clean up is so embarrassing at least if I had a diaper clean up would be easier. Last night I had another accident and didn't even know about it until this morning . I'm 90% sure it has to do with something in my diet. It's not like I haven't worn for this problem before. My friends and family will just have to accept it I'm sure my mom and brother get tired of dealing with it but don't want to say anything. If I can get my doctors opinion I'm sure that would help smooth things over with my family at least. Do you need help with changes or are you able to do that on your own?
    I unfortunately am completely dependent on others in that department
    Last edited by Nihlus; 22-Aug-2012 at 03:02. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Babyfur
    Caretaker

Quote Originally Posted by 1983cpdude View Post
    I have Ataxic CP, does your brother wear a diaper?
    Yeah, He's essentially (from a developmental standpoint) a 2 year old in a 16 year old body. He can walk in a gate trainer, feed himself with modified sippy cups with handles my Grandfather made, use his communication board (Dynavox Series 4), etc.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast