Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cerebral Palsy and diapers

Diaper Lover
    Incontinent

Hey Lego I have CP too Do you use a wheelchair and do you currently wear? if you don't mind me asking

I have both a powered and manual chair. I do use at night sometimes when I am tired or sore knowing that getting to the bathroom might be hard. Also if I'm going to be out and about I'll use then as well.

Diaper Lover
    Incontinent

Quote Originally Posted by darkknight View Post
    Whats up man I have CP and use a wheelchair and am a DL. I think my CP had a lot to do with it I can't wear unfortunately because I need to much help with it. I'm hoping someday i can get out on my own and wear like I want to. My mobility issues make it hard for me to get to the bathroom quickly when out in public and traveling and such. All my doctors have suggested I use urinals or catheters but I would much rather just wear diapers.
    I too struggle with accidents and want to go back to diapers but I'm too afraid of what my family might say or think as my mom and brother are my care attendants. CPdude what did you tell your family and if you dont mind me asking how severe is your CP?
    I told my family I felt that I needed more protection because of my accident, which is truth, I have accidents everyday so wearing underwear was a real pain on the butt. They didn't like at first, but over time they accepted it. I started out with pull ups and gradually went to full diapers, I think that helped things with my family. It has made my life so much easier, no more embrassment, no more running to the bathroom, no more extra laundry. I recommend you be honwst with your family tell them you feel diaper would improve your quality of life and want to try them. A lot of kids with cp don't really benefit from potty training and would be better of in diapers.

- - - Updated - - -

Darkknight if you have any more question let me know

- - - Updated - - -

I'm currently wear 24/7 btw

Quote Originally Posted by 1983cpdude View Post
    I told my family I felt that I needed more protection because of my accident, which is truth, I have accidents everyday so wearing underwear was a real pain on the butt. They didn't like at first, but over time they accepted it. I started out with pull ups and gradually went to full diapers, I think that helped things with my family. It has made my life so much easier, no more embrassment, no more running to the bathroom, no more extra laundry. I recommend you be honwst with your family tell them you feel diaper would improve your quality of life and want to try them. A lot of kids with cp don't really benefit from potty training and would be better of in diapers.
    Glad to hear things are working out with the family. As a former child with CP I think that potty training should be done if possible because it will possible make the child's day-to-day life easier without having to worry about changing pull-ups or diapers.

Diaper Lover
    Incontinent

It really depends on the kid some kids Potty training is fine, For others it just make life hard either because there mobility issues make it hard to get to the toilet or they have to many accident because of muscle control. Diapers just makes life easier. I know a lot of people with that have went back into diapers as adults that probably never should have been taken out of them. But in this society we value what is normal instead of what is best for a person.

Incontinent

Hi evereyone

Just thought i have CP to andd i have to wear diapers/nappies due to IC relating to CP. my troubles didnt really start til i got older but due to my condidtion i now have to wear 24/7 again i wear diapers because for me they are easier to change than pull ups and are more reliable than pads. mobility wise i use a wheelchair to get around and i have to crawl due to my parents house not being suitable to use a wheelchar indoors its not nice but its a way of getting around. my mum definatly knows about my ic problems and stuff because i live with her my dad i think he knows but i still find it embarrasing

- - - Updated - - -

With mme potty training didnt start til a little (3-3.5yrs) later and from what i renember i was a bit of a bugger to train so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by cp88 View Post
    Hi evereyone

Just thought i have CP to andd i have to wear diapers/nappies due to IC relating to CP. my troubles didnt really start til i got older but due to my condidtion i now have to wear 24/7 again i wear diapers because for me they are easier to change than pull ups and are more reliable than pads. mobility wise i use a wheelchair to get around and i have to crawl due to my parents house not being suitable to use a wheelchar indoors its not nice but its a way of getting around. my mum definatly knows about my ic problems and stuff because i live with her my dad i think he knows but i still find it embarrasing

- - - Updated - - -

With mme potty training didnt start til a little (3-3.5yrs) later and from what i renember i was a bit of a bugger to train so to speak
    I am much in the same boat as you are.

Incontinent

I also have cerebral palsy and a few other birth defects, but luckily it only affects my midsection (pelvic and abdominal muscles) I still walk, play ice hockey and go inline skating. I just have no control over my bladder and bowels.

Diaper Lover
    Incontinent

Quote Originally Posted by 1983cpdude View Post
    I told my family I felt that I needed more protection because of my accident, which is truth, I have accidents everyday so wearing underwear was a real pain on the butt. They didn't like at first, but over time they accepted it. I started out with pull ups and gradually went to full diapers, I think that helped things with my family. It has made my life so much easier, no more embrassment, no more running to the bathroom, no more extra laundry. I recommend you be honwst with your family tell them you feel diaper would improve your quality of life and want to try them. A lot of kids with cp don't really benefit from potty training and would be better off in diapers.

- - - Updated - - -

Darkknight if you have any more question let me know

- - - Updated - - -

I'm currently wear 24/7 btw
    I really appreciate the advice man i've definitely noticed the accidents increase as i've gotten older. Im not quite sure if its a change in my tonal pattern or a muscle control thing. I meant to ask my doctor about it but I just don't feel like going through the test gauntlet right now I'm pretty sure its urge IC coupled with my lack of mobility. Whats your changing situation like are you dependent on others for that? There is a definite increase in my laundry too I need to talk to my family and doctor but its just such an embarrassing subject to talk about. Again I thank you for the advice

I have Cerebral Palsy that mostly affects the left side of my body. I grew up bed wetting pretty much every night until I was 20, and had some more isolated day time issues from time to time as well. I know that the bed wetting definitely contributed to becoming interested in diapers, since I had easy access to them, due to being frequently given to me for my issues.

When I moved out and went to college I still had an almost nightly bed wetting issue. I had rather significant anxiety when it came to buying them, it took me almost 4 months after I moved out on my own to buy them for myself and that was almost purely because I became tired of waking up wet and trying to hide the wet bedding from roommates, etc. Eventually I also started ordering from a local supplier since I couldn't handle the stress of buying them in a store.

I remember having an interest in diapers since I can remember, so I'm fairly certain I would have had this interest regardless of my CP and wetting issues. However, what I'm not sure of is whether that interest would have progressed into too much more than just a thought in the back of my mind or not, due to the issues I have had with buying them.

I suspect that I likely would have eventually worked up the nerve to buy diapers, it just would have been a considerably different story without my CP. Heck, part of the reason why I'm pretty comfortable buying and with my interest in diapers to date in general is still likely due to the fact that I still wear at times because of occasional bed wetting, etc. So if I didn't have CP, I do believe I'd still be interested in them, but I don't believe that I would have yet progressed to the same level of comfort that I have with my interest to date.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast