Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about cloth

Default Questions about cloth

So, I'm considering getting cloth diapers and using them regularly, but I'm not sure what all goes into it. I'm using custom fitted cloths, and I don't know what else I need. Are plastic pants (something I've never used) needed, or just helpful. Where should I get pins? How do I wear them under normal clothes? Questions of that nature.

Anyone that can offer me some in depth advice would be great!

Hiya,

I'm also looking at cloth in more detail again. I use to wear shaped cloth (from babykins) with Velcro tabs for school / uni. I'm currently experimenting with thin cloth outer + disposable inner.

I didn't use plastic pants as I needed them to buy me time to get to the loo rather than as a replacement, but if use them heavily you will need plastic pants.

You will also need a decent routine for cleaning them. We found if we left them a day or two then they got very very smelly. (though that may just be due to cert potent urine due to medical issues).

Hi, BabyAshley:

The short answer to the question of plastic pants is: Yes. Unless you get an "all-in-one" (AIO) diaper, which has a plastic cover built in. Examples would be the KINS pull-on AIO diaper, and the LeakMaster velcro AIO diaper. There are others.

A simple "contour" or "fitted" cloth diaper has no outer plastic, and so you'll need the plastic pants (unless you're using the diapers like Jammie is, i.e. like training pants). Examples would be the LeakMaster contour diaper, and Rearz snap-on diaper. And again, there are others. You mentioned that you were considering getting cloth diapers, but then said "I'm using", so it wasn't clear to me whether you'd already bought them or not. If not, those are some ideas.

Most places that sell cloth diapers also sell pins and plastic pants. An example is AdultClothDiaper.com (from whence the LeakMaster products come). You can also often find diaper pins at fabric stores. I bought some nice locking diaper pins from a local fabric store, however the ones from AdultClothDiaper have a more gradual taper and seem to go through the diapers a lot easier.

As for wearing under clothes: I haven't gone out in mine (yet), but as I'm wearing ordinary prefolds, there is quite a bit of diaper between my legs, making for an obvious "waddle". A contour or fitted diaper ought to be fairly discrete by comparison.

Anyway, that's not the whole answer to your post, but hopefully still helpful!

Best,
    LL
    Last edited by Cottontail; 12-Sep-2011 at 20:41.

Diaper Lover

I'll add my 2 cents here as a long time user of cloth. The Kins products are great though I have had leak problems with the AIO. For me layering a combo of disposable under a Kins double terry pull on cloth diaper and topped with roomy plastic pants works great even sleeping on my side. This is a little thick under jeans but experiment and using cloth + disposables can really be a good solution combining reasonable cost, comfort and leak security.

Adultbaby
    Incontinent

minki nappies (google it) are great ! they make a fleece version and an waterproof outer which are just soo comfortable. Shes been making nappies(diapers) for babies for years and has recently gone into the incontinence market. I wear them all the time under shortalls from veryspecialclothes.com which hide them perfectly under a sweater or something.

I've decided to go with cloth because they would be cheeper than trying to purchase disposable ones especially since I'm going to be buying them without my parents knowing. Sadly there are two problems, first is the price. I'll be spending at least $150 CAD to get 3. Second is shipping. I don't know how to get it past my parents in two ways, hiding the credit card purchase and getting it shipped here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rlew View Post
    I'll be spending at least $150 CAD to get 3. Second is shipping. I don't know how to get it past my parents in two ways, hiding the credit card purchase and getting it shipped here.
    Hi Rlew:

Just curiously, which diapers are you getting?

I assume you've worked out some way to wash your diapers without your parents finding out? That was a big problem for me when I was a young (pre-teen) DL trying to use cloth.

LL

I have at least a half-hour alone before school and usually 1 hour after school. The only problem would be weekends.

I have decided to get 2 instead of 3 dropping my total from 163 to 115 making it easer to pay for. I've looked at several places and have decided to go with LeakMaster Adult All In One Cloth Diapers.

Ive changed my mind, I'm going to go with kins aio one. It is cheeper and Canadian.
    Last edited by Rlew; 17-Sep-2011 at 18:58. Reason: mind change

Adultbaby
    Diaper Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Rlew View Post
    I have at least a half-hour alone before school and usually 1 hour after school. The only problem would be weekends.

I have decided to get 2 instead of 3 dropping my total from 163 to 115 making it easer to pay for. I've looked at several places and have decided to go with LeakMaster Adult All In One Cloth Diapers.

Ive changed my mind, I'm going to go with kins aio one. It is cheeper and Canadian.
    A a bit of warning, AIOs take a lot of time to dry and are harder to get fully clean even in the laundry. That said, they are the most convenient of the cloth options.

For the OP-Plastic pants are a necessity with cloth diapers, as otherwise, the diaper isn't waterproof. Even if you only wet just a small bit, eventually that wetness will wick through the fabric.

As for pins, some swear you need to buy adult-sized pins, but honestly, I just buy the 99 cent package of four Gerber or whatever brand pins in the baby section of my favorite big-box store. They're inexpensive and they work just fine for me. I usually use two pins per side for extra holding strength and better fit.

In terms of wearing under clothes, it's certainly doable. Cloth diapers require more thickness for a comparable amount of absorbency to disposables, so a cloth diaper that's as thick as an Abena might only take, say, two-thirds to three-quarters of the wettings. Like wearing a thicker disposable under your clothes, ideally you'll have a pair of pants that are looser than others. In my view, if you're wearing diapers in public with any frequency, you should buy at least one pair of pants that are actually an entire waist size larger than you would normally buy (so, a 36" instead of a 34", for example), as the larger pants will accommodate the diaper.

Something else someone mentioned is laundering. Don't let them sit for more than about three or four days in the pail before you wash them. Even at that point, the compounds in urine will be beginning to assault the fabric, and they'll start to smell besides. If you're using custom thickness cloth, you might have to account for longer drying times, and it won't hurt to, every so often, run them through the wash for a second cycle, using no detergent the second time, just to help strip out any compounds or detergent that built up.

And finally, I'll put in a plug for the cloth diaper article. I think it's definitely worth a read to anyone considering, or even using, cloth diapers. And certainly, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Adultbaby
    Diaper Lover

I also use the baby diaper pins. The metal pin part is thinner and passes through the cloth easier. As for washing, I take my diaper into the shower with me in the morning, rinsing it out. I hang it up to dry in a far corner of the basement. I wash my plastic pants in the shower as well, using dish detergent. I rinse them thoroughly and hang them up to dry. I think they last longer if they never see a washer or dryer.

When I've accumulated a number of diapers, drying in the basement, I wash them as a load. I first wash them on the light permanent press cycle, with detergent. I then wash them again on the heavy cotton load, also using detergent. They usually take two rounds in the dryer under the long timed cotton setting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast