Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cloth diapers, pins, rubber pants

Diaper Lover

I was for a while then switched to disposables.

Babyfur
    Caretaker

I was at one point but I got swiched becuse my parents didn't like cloth diapers. So for me it was mosly diapers or pull ups. Becuse I had wet the bed till I was 15(which is sad) I wore diapers on vacation trips too. So it was bad but kind of injoyable for me. Thank god he didn't find out I wet them on my own will.(can't spell the word I wanted to use.
    Last edited by cornkid; 15-Feb-2010 at 01:43. Reason: Missed a detail

Adultbaby
    Diaper Lover

Yes, I wore cloth and plastic pants. Everyone did. It was a while ago, and everyone was poor. I can remember seeing all those cloth diapers hanging on people cloths line and going crazy. I can also remember playing with friends and they would always have a younger brother or sister in diapers, and I would look at the diapers so longingly.

Now I still wear cloth and plastic. I love the feel of them, but, they must be washed!

angelabauer

My entire extended family believed in pinned gauze diapers for many years after I was born in 1964.

My maternal Granny Vi lived next door. Sometimes she would look after us. I remember her changing one of my younger sisters. Granny called the Gerber vinyl pants "rubber panties" although she herself not only wore adult-size Gerber panties over her own diapers. Granny ordered those by mail directly from the Gerber factory in Three Oaks, MI.

Adultbaby
    Diaper Lover

I was also born in 1964 and that is all my parent used I was in my cloth diapers and rubber pants until age 8 I still remeber this as if it was yesterday. I can stiil remeber looking down at the yeloow ducky pins my mom used to pin my diaper up with. When I was mostly potty trained at age 8 if I had an accident she would put me in a diaper and rubber pants and make me play outside with my friends like that. To this day I still like the cloth diapers and rubber pants but I am a big person so they cost a trendous amout of money to fit me so I have turned mainly to disposables but my true love will always be cloth and rubber pants.

Adultbaby

Quote Originally Posted by mjk1090 View Post
    To this day I still like the cloth diapers and rubber pants but I am a big person so they cost a trendous amout of money to fit me so I have turned mainly to disposables but my true love will always be cloth and rubber pants.
    over the life of the diaper it will cost less to have the cloth diaper. think about this a disposable costs what $1 a diaper about. a cloth diaper will cost $15 for the diaper and $15 for the plastic pant, if you get 30 uses out of that diaper and palstic pants you break even. Now lets look at this you don't need 1 plastic pant for every diaper, so lets say you by 1 dozon diapers and 1/2 a dozon plastic pants, 22.5 uses of a diaper (with the plastic pants) will get you at the break even point, every diaper over that is better.

Adultbaby
    Sissy / LG

Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    My entire extended family believed in pinned gauze diapers for many years after I was born in 1964.

My maternal Granny Vi lived next door. Sometimes she would look after us. I remember her changing one of my younger sisters. Granny called the Gerber vinyl pants "rubber panties" although she herself not only wore adult-size Gerber panties over her own diapers. Granny ordered those by mail directly from the Gerber factory in Three Oaks, MI.
    When Gerber decided to discontinue the production of their Adult size plastic panties, some of the ladies that used to work for Gerber bought the manufacturing equipment, and continue to make them just like Gerber used to. They can not use the Gerber brand name, but the plastic panties are, essentially, exactly the same as when Gerber was making them. The company's name is VIProducts, and they are still located in Three Oaks, MI. They make some darling rhumba-style plastic pants, as well as the plain, vinyl pull-on style and the kind with side-snaps.

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by fifigal View Post
    When Gerber decided to discontinue the production of their Adult size plastic panties, some of the ladies that used to work for Gerber bought the manufacturing equipment, and continue to make them just like Gerber used to. They can not use the Gerber brand name, but the plastic panties are, essentially, exactly the same as when Gerber was making them. The company's name is VIProducts, and they are still located in Three Oaks, MI. They make some darling rhumba-style plastic pants, as well as the plain, vinyl pull-on style and the kind with side-snaps.
    Unfortunately the former Gerber employees who started VIP in the old factory decided to close their own business a few years ago. The original founders were by then well past retirement and even the youngest no longer wanted to do the work. Another problem was that the minimum quantity of vinyl fabric would constitute a 4 year supply at least, since VIP sales were declining. As you may or may not know, vinyl fabric has a shelf-life short enough it is not wise to have more than a 12 month inventory of the material.

My husband, Don Davis, was a child actor in network radio starting in the fall of 1936. In the spring of 1937, before Don turned 5, he was cast as the "older brother" in a non-theatrical film produced for International Latex Corporation to introduce their new and radical PlayTex seamless stretchy baby panties. Don's only line was to say "Baby's bottom is dry!" in an excited way as the actress playing the mother lifted a diapered 1 year-old. After making that short film Don would pay attention to the placement of PlayTex displays in stores and the amount of inventory in those displayes.

Bummer that by January 1942 wartime restrictions of civilian use of rubber required PlayTex to suspend production of their baby pants just when sales were booming. During WWII other forms of waterproof baby pants were invented. PlayTex never really re-gained their pre-war sales dominance.

Don felt that it was the introduction of thinner vinyl as perfected by Gerber that ended the literal "rubber pants" era. I must say that reading about the care of PlayTex panties makes me appreciate the Gerber, VIP and Babykins vinyl pants all the more.

Over the years several of those women had become great pen pals with Granny Vi and my Mom. During our move to Iowa in 1976 we spend a day at the Three Oaks factory. They prepared a pot-luck feast. Later when some of those women visited Los Angeles they stayed with Granny.

It was so sad then VIP closed down. Those were marvelous vinyl pants.
    Last edited by angelabauer; 16-Feb-2010 at 01:04. Reason: Add more information

In elementary school I had a friend who had a baby brother who wore cloth diapers and she always called rubber pants--"rubber panties". Very old school and traditional. I've changed and washed and dried thousands of diapers and a typical cloth diaper will easily withstand several hundred washings if laundered properly. Same goes for rubber pants. Hand-wash, air, or line-dry. Keeping rubber pants out of the washing machine and dryer is the biggest factor. Life expectancy of machine washed rubber pants, weeks, maybe a month or so. Life expectancy of hand-laundered rubber pants, 2-3 months if they don't rip or tear through normal use. Thanks for the lovely bit of history angela.

That was all they had when I was in diapers for the first time, I do enjoy the rubber pants, but I'm not that crazy about cloth diapers, they take too long to dry and get totaly soaked way too fast are very uncomfortable for long time wear.

I may be old,but I would rather wear a nice diaposeable if I'm going to be in a diaper for a long time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast