Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Diapers in hospital

Yumi

I don't know about you guys, but when I was hospitalized in the hospital (mental health hospital), I wore diapers. :S But that's because I was already a bed wetter, and did wear at home... And my nurse was super nice. >.<

Diaper Lover

I pitty your american capitalist approche to health care.
    All you get is the cheapest, unless you pay extra.

Here, we have at least a bargain between quality and cost. Most hospital I've seen or worked at had descent diapers. Most used Tena Ultra, wich are very good for day use.

They are comonly used, but the prefered approche is autonomy and dignity. Most people don't like diapers and will prefer the catheter.

And for those wondering, after surgery, you rarely have a diaper on. Most of the time it's a cath. Most common annestetics induce constipation. So even if you are fully incontinent, a catheter will suffice for a while after the op.

Adultbaby
    Diaper Lover
    Caretaker

Quote Originally Posted by bob111 View Post

Here, we have at least a bargain between quality and cost. Most hospital I've seen or worked at had descent diapers. Most used Tena Ultra, wich are very good for day use.
    Being european, I totally agree with you, we have good quality health care where I live (Belgium). When I visited my grand father at the retirement home I noticed they used Tena Super on incontinent people. At the hospital I've seen some Molicare, Abena or Euron diapers, depending on the hospital. I have even stolen a few when I got a chance to (I'm not proud of it thought)

Most people don't like diapers and will prefer the catheter.
    Aren't catheters painful though?

Diapers may not be dignified but at least they don't hurt.

Butterfly Mage

For a man, I suppose an external catheter wouldn't be too bad. But I've always thought that the risk of infection for internal catheters was sky-high. Diapers might cause other problems, but they don't cause bladder infections. I guess there really isn't a "perfect" solution for incontinence.

First I just want to second everything that MixyNyxi said, pretty much said everything that needed to be said from the provider stand point. Just to add on one thing, the exception is that at times we have a bit of a lower threshold to use diapers on certain classes of patients in the ED, but even then it is still the vast minority, though we will usually keep people who come in with a severely altered mental status in protection if that is how they arrived, or, if we are expecting them to be with us for a while catheters become very useful.

On the topic of catheters, which I know I addressed somewhere else, just can't remember where, it is important to remember that the use of catheters is often for other medical reasons not related to incontinence, by using catheters on certain subsets of patients we are able to gather valuable medical information that can alter the treatment we are providing. Again the fundamental point here, which is useful to remember, is that the mechanism of a catheter and a diaper are fundamentally different, and, therefore, you cannot simply replace them as far as clinical utility. This basically means that in some cases if you refuse a catheter you would be directly interfering with the attempts to treat you, or, in certain circumstances putting your life in danger. And trust me, a traditional catheter is a lot better then some of the other alternatives we use... (they all have basically the same concept, just different points of entry). Again, remember, that urine can't stay in the bladder, and urine output also has to be measured in certain cases, diapers are NOT a reasonable alternative to catheters during many surgical procedures or emergent care.

As far as infections go, it is true that catheters do increase the risk of infection; however, using proper sterile technique can dramatically reduce that risk.

And finally, back to clinical settings, you need to remember that in many cases within a psychiatric institution there are a different subset of patients, who are, for the most part, medically stable, and are ambulatory, therefore the risk of pressure sores is greatly reduced.

Also, for the person talking about their surgery, many times you will have a catheter inserted during the procedure, and if it is an outpatient procedure they might remove that before you wake up from the anesthesia... there are other concerns with the food and drink restrictions.
    Last edited by bdb2004; 05-Nov-2009 at 05:04. Reason: A few quick points...

Its weird, My mom is a nurse and tells alot of stories about her work. Never once have I heard about the use of a catheter from her. The patient either can get up and use the washroom themself, or they are in diapers. More often they are in diapers, (I don't know what brand they are of course, I don't know how my mom would take that question.) but then again this could have something to do with her being on the cancer ward. Its very hard to get up and go after radiation or kimo because your body is so weakened.

If I ever get hopsitalized Im going to outright refuse a catheter, not because im TB/DL either, but because of the high risk of infection. So far from what I have read they are pretty painful getting out and cause alot of bladder infections (which are also painful).

pamperchu

I have never been in a hospital but I would ask for diapers. I will never use a catheter.

But in Canada all you get is what they give you unless you can fly to the states and pay for everything. In evry other country but Cuba and North Korea there is a middle ground.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast